Friday, May 16, 2008

Prov 8 reflections 4/3/08

Frick guys, It's already been a week. As I have to give a short talk on the event to parish this Sunday (as they gave me cash to come) and I'm sending some reflections to Glenn Libby, this is a good way to start.The gathering was amazing. I haven't had such a spiritually rewarding experiance in such a long time, and as I think about it, it was much needed.While I was in Salt Lake, many members of my parish were at St Johns in Lodi, CA for the first convention of the continuing Episcopal Diocese of San Jaquin. As they were gathering as grown old adults in an effort to reorganize and continue the mission of the Church, I gathered with about 70 young adults already organized with the same intent on continuing the mission of the Church. I was most proud and pleased (and I think I speak for Bryan also) to represent my parish as a member of the Episcopal Church in San Joaquin. I am also very happy that I am able to bring back much of what I have encountered and learned to this area help the church in this area.The theme for this year was At(one)ment and learning how we are "at one" with the church, eachother and the world. Much of the event centered around the Millenium Develemental Goals set for by the UN (and adopted as a part of the mission of this church) to accomplish goals such as gender equalization, the reduction of the carbon footprint, allow natural resources to last longer and combating the aids crisis. These issues effect us all. We are at one with them on this planet. And as God's people we are at one with eachother and must fix these issues for the betterment of all people and thus following the commandment of our Lord to love our neighbors. During the event we had a choice of worships to attend. I attended a workshop on Fundementalism in Christianity. I felt it was approiate to gain insight on how our more conservative breathren think and follow their theology, esspecially since I was raised Pentecostal and considering the area were I live. Saturday night we all watched the documentary "For the Bible tells me so" which has case studies of individuals and their families who were raised in the church and were gay or lesbian. After the film was done, tears were running down the cheecks of many who were present. Myself include. After the screening, we had a Service of Light Eucharist where we each lit eachothers candle from Candle of the Blessed Sacrament. Pastor Joel preached on the beatitudes and how Jesus started his ministry by blessing and how we ought to take that blessing and extend it to the world. Before the Eucharist, we were invited to come to the high altar for prayer and healing for anything we needed. Nearly everyone went. The priest and chaplains were very sincere and gave the most long and personal blessing. It was very moving. Those seated sang various Taize Chants and were led by a flute duet. In this moment, I felt "at one" with my fellow peers, and wider church. Everyone present had a wonderful time. The only disapointment was when we were all taken to the airport and caught our flights home.I most look forward next years gathering, and for the national gathering in December.

No comments: